Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gratitude

Gratitude:The state of being grateful; thankfulness.

Over these past few months with being a part of a church plant, I have a whole new perspective of gratitude.

We decided that we weren't going to take a paycheck until the church we are a part of is fully funded and instead, we decided to raise support for our salary until that was able to happen.

Those of you who have, or are currently raising support understand the time it takes to raise money.

My husband and I started support raising February of 2011 and right now are at 40%. I don't think I've ever spent as much time in my life worrying about what percentage we are at, or what is in our bank account.

There have been days where we have only had $10.00 in our account and have often been left wondering how we will make ends meet.

Before we stepped out of paying jobs, saying thank you to someone was almost like a habit.

Thanks for dinner, thanks for the gift, thank you for inviting us over, thank you for the bottle of wine.

I started to lose the meaning of "thank you", and started to get in the habit of saying it casually.

Now, when we can't buy groceries, go out to eat, not be able to put gas in the car, or even pay our rent the words "thank you" feel so much more tender when I say it.

When God shows up and places someone in our life to go out of their way to buy groceries, fill our car up with gas, pay our rent, or give us a gift card so we can have a date night, I am at a loss for words.

I feel that "thank you" cannot suffice the gratitude that is in my heart. I cannot explain to them that I am so grateful for their help that I feel a lump in my throat and my eyes fill with tears. Tears of relief, gratitude, and thankfulness.

God has used this season we are in to put a new perspective in my path.

I am no longer in the habit of saying "thank you" casually. I say "thank you" with intentionality, intensity, and love; to all of those who God has used to provide for us during this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment